About Barrington 220
The Barrington 220 School District is a nationally recognized preK-12 school district, located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. The school district is geographically located in four counties: Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry. Barrington 220 has one high school, two middle school campuses for grades 6-8, eight elementary schools, one early childhood center, and a transition center for special education students who are 18-22 years old. The first Barrington school was a one-room schoolhouse, which opened in 1835. However, it wasn’t until 1973 that the Barrington 220 School District officially formed. Since then Barrington 220 has become known for its innovative curriculum, rich history and sense of community. Our mission is to empower personal excellence in every learner.
As a unit district, Barrington 220 has the unique opportunity to see students’ education from the very beginning, until they graduate from Barrington High School.
- 12 National Blue Ribbon Awards
- BHS consistently named one of "America's Best High Schools" in US News & World Report
- Consistently ranked in top 10 school districts in Illinois by Niche
- Barrington 220 named one of nation's "2020 Best Communities for Music Education" by NAMM Foundation
- Named 2018 Best District in Illinois by 24/7 Wall Street
- All Barrington 220 elementary schools have received the Let's Move! Active Schools National Award
- Barrington 220 has earned a spot on the College Board AP Honor Roll five times
- BHS named Apple Distinguished School
- AAA bond rating from Standard & Poor's for past 16 years (one of only 88 districts nationwide to receive AAA bond rating)
- Balanced budget for 27 consecutive years
We educate approximately 8,000 students in pre-kindergarten through age 22. We serve students from a 72 square-mile area including all or part of Barrington, Barrington Hills, Carpentersville, Deer Park, Fox River Grove, Hoffman Estates, Inverness, Lake Barrington, North Barrington, Port Barrington, South Barrington, and Tower Lakes.
Nearly 90% of our educators have a master's degree or higher. Forty educators have earned National Board Certification. This credential is considered to be one of the most respected nationwide among educators. Our educators' passion for teaching, learning and community helps our students learn, grow and thrive.
Our Innovative Programs
We are a nationally recognized school district that is known for its rich history, sense of community and innovative curriculum. We offer nearly a dozen innovative programs to our students, starting as early as kindergarten and continuing through high school.
The Barrington High School Alumni Association is an independent organization which aims to connect old friends and help alumni make new friends. Our alumni network stretches across the country and alumni take great pride in their school community.