A quality public education is the result of a strong partnership between school districts and their communities. Barrington 220's Parent University provides free, in-person, and virtual information sessions throughout the school year covering specific topics that help parents support their children as they move through the Barrington 220 School District. We invite you to join us!
Raising Resilient Learners: Understanding School Refusal, Avoidance & Anxiety
- Date: Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023
- Time: 7pm-8pm
- Location: Virtual (Zoom link will be sent to email after registration)
During this virtual session, Jacqueline Rhew, Co-Founder of the Center for Emotional Wellness of the Northwest Suburbs, will lead an interactive discussion around interventions and strategies to promote active school engagement. There will be a special emphasis placed on supporting students who have struggled during this past year with mental health, medical or pain management concerns, leading to issues with attendance, work completion, and building healthy relationships in the school environment. Parents will:
- Be prompted to self-reflect on beliefs and mindsets, especially how personal reactions can impact the confidence, motivation, and engagement of their children.
- Gain strategies to respond to and assess their child’s needs.
- Learn interventions in the home setting that promote school attendance and engagement.
- Review obstacles and barriers to active school engagement.