The full-day Kindergarten Lab Program at Barrington High School offers a one-of-a-kind educational experience for our youngest learners, as well as our high school students who plan to work in the field of education.
The "K-Lab" includes two classes (46 students total) situated inside specially created kindergarten classroom spaces on the high school campus. Thanks to its location at BHS, students enrolled in the K-Lab Program can engage in unique experiential learning opportunities throughout their school day. Some of these opportunities include horticulture activities inside the BHS greenhouse, authentic learning experiences inside the new state-of-the-art culinary arts lab, musical instrument exploration with high school band and orchestra students, and cultural celebrations with BHS world language students.
As the first program of its kind in the state, the K-Lab students will also have the opportunity to learn from supervised and supported high school mentors. This will range from support in developing core skills with personalized instruction to hands-on experiences.
K-Lab students are enrolled in the program utilizing a lottery system. Upon completion of their kindergarten school year, K-Lab students will complete grades 1-5 at their home elementary school.
Dr. Becky Gill
Director of Elementary Education
- How is the K-Lab unique from kindergarten at the elementary schools and what advantages does it bring to my child?
- Do students learn the core subjects in the K-Lab?
- Do students have specials?
- How often do the kindergarteners interact with the high schoolers?
- Where are the K-Lab classes located?
- What are the hours for the K-Lab school day?
- What transportation is provided for K-Lab students?
- How does arrival work?
- How does dismissal work?
- What are the before-school and after-school care options for K-Lab students?
- What does lunch time look like?
- Will my child be able to receive academic and/or social-emotional support if needed?
- How will special education services be provided for my child?
- What assessments will be given to the K-Lab students?
- Is there an additional fee for this program?
- Where will the students attend first grade?
- What security measures will be put in place for the K-Lab classrooms?