Science and Engineering Department
The Barrington High School Science Department offers a broad, comprehensive selection of courses in the physical, biological, earth sciences, and domains that are designed to meet the academic and career needs and interests of the high school students of this community. The main goals of the BHS science program are to prepare our students for future activities in a technologically sophisticated work force, nurture positive attitudes in students toward science, and prepare a scientifically informed citizenry for the challenges of tomorrow. We feel that these goals are best met by providing an encouraging environment rich in opportunities to discover and experience the order of our universe.
Mission StatementTo develop in all students a positive attitude towards learning, a curiosity about science, and the knowledge and skills to be scientifically literate.Enduring Understandings
- The use of technology enhances scientific exploration and understanding.
- The advances in science influence society and pose ethical issues which create new responsibilities.
- The goal of science is to explain the natural world through the analysis and interpretation of data in order to solve problems and make decisions.
- Scientific progress and clear scientific understanding are aided by communication of evidence.
- Systems have interrelated and interdependent components.
Science Academic Resource
The Science Resource Center is always staffed by a BHS Science teacher. It is a drop-in center. Students can stop in to:
- Receive assistance with homework.
- Practice test preparation skills.
- Receive guided instruction due to an absence or missed lesson.
- Work independently on assignments knowing assistance is nearby if needed.