About Barrington 220
Barrington Community Unit School District 220 was formed in 1973 as a consolidated unit, combining two elementary districts and a high school district into one unit that educates students from pre-kindergarten through high school. Located about 35 miles northwest of Chicago, District 220 encompasses 72 square miles. It covers 12 villages: all of Barrington, Lake Barrington, Tower Lakes; and portions of Barrington Hills, Carpentersville, Deer Park, Fox River Grove, Port Barrington, Hoffman Estates, Inverness, North Barrington, and South Barrington. In addition, District 220 is geographically located in 4 counties: Cook, Lake, McHenry, and Kane.
District 220 has one high school, two middle school campuses for grades 6-8, eight elementary schools, and one early childhood center.
"Inspiring all learners to achieve excellence"
- We educate nearly 9,000 students: pre Kindergarten through Grade 12
- We serve students from a 72 square mile area including all or part of: Barrington, Barrington Hills, Carpentersville, Deer Park, Fox River Grove, Hoffman Estates, Inverness, Lake Barrington, North Barrington, Port Barrington, South Barrington, and Tower Lakes
Our Teachers and Staff
- 87% have a Masters degrees or higher
- 40 staff members have earned national board certification
- 8 certified school nurses
- A District 220 teacher earned the President's award for Excellence in Teaching Math & Science
- Consistently ranked among the state's top 5% school districts academically
- Ranked 4th Best District in Illinois in Niche 2018 rankings
- BHS named Top 1000 High Schools in the Nation by Newsweek
- "Outperformer" award from Standard & Poors for academic achievement among school districts with similar demographics
- "What Parents Want" award from SchoolMatch
- "Bright Red Apple" award from SchoolSearch for overall excellence
- AAA bond rating from Standard & Poors
- Balanced budget for 21 consecutive years
- Earned highest financial rating from the State of Illinois