Concert Band/Symphonic BandCourse Description:Concert Band is a large band ensemble comprising a majority of 9th and 10th grade band members (but not limited to) those students enrolled in band at Barrington High School. Symphonic Band is a large band ensemble comprising a majority of 11th grade (but not limited to) those students, and ALL 12th grade band students at Barrington High School. Assessment and grading is LARGELY performance-based, but is also assessed by students ability on their instruments, and their individual effort on their instrunents. Students are required to use SmartMusic for their individual performance assignments. Required performances include participation in three major concerts at school each year, participation in local and national festivals and competions, participation in Bronco Marching Band (1st quarter) and Pep Band (2nd/3rd quarter). All students may elect to earn honor credit in either band. Optional participation in Honor Recital, Solo/Ensemble contest, BHS Symphony Orchestra, applied individual lessons, and musical pit orchestra is also available for students. Performance assessments will mostly be done through Smart Music. All students should have a home subscription to Smart Music. Students who are not able to have access to Smart Music may do their assignments at school.Enduring Understandings:1) Artists communicate sensibility and meaning through visual and performing arts.
2) Artists manipulate their medium to construct meaning.
3) An artist's ability to listen and interpret affects his or her ability to understand the art form.
4) A level of proficiency is necessary to communicate an artist's intent.
5) An artist's use of skills and techniques is a continual, repetitive learning process.
6) Artists present finished products or performance.
7) The critique process can lead to heightened awareness of aesthetics.
8) Critiques promote the use of art vocabulary.
9) The critique process is a valuable analysis of what takes place intuitively.
Essential Questions:1) How do form, content and context express and influence meaning?(Assessment Prompt: Support with evidence how form, content and context express and influence meaning.)2) How do ELEMENTS AND PRINCIPLES function in facilitating the creative process?3) How do we use critique to inform our art?Course Academic Vocabulary:1) Reading and interpreting written music and musical terms
2) Performance of music in large and small group form.
3) Critique of rehearsal and performance (student - based, teacher-based)Course Units / Topics of Study:Concert Band - Marching Band (music and visual elements), Concert study - Grade III - IV standard concert band repertoire,technical study - all major scales, breathing techniques, individual proficiency on instruments, reading music, articulation, listening, and musical terms.Symphonic Band - Marching Band (musical and visual elements), Concert study - Grade III - VI standard concert band repertoire,technical study - all major and minor scales, breathing techiques, individual proficiency on instruments, reading music, listening, articulation, and musical terms.