Course Title: Dance I Movement StudiesCourse Description:
This yearlong course introduces students to elements of choreography, performance, composition, anatomy, movement studies (yoga, Pilates, wellness themes), guest artist experiences, dance history and criticism. This course emphasizes increased flexibility, concentration, coordination and musicality through the study of ballet, modern, jazz and other dance forms. Athletes and actors are encouraged to enroll. A variety of performance and creative assessments are required. This course will fulfill a PE requirement and may be repeated for PE credit. It is open to juniors and seniors.Enduring Understandings:
- Artists communicate sensibility and meaning through visual & performing arts.
- Artists manipulate their medium(s) to construct meaning.
- An artist's ability to listen and interpret affects his or her ability to understand the art form.
- A level of proficiency is necessary to communicate an artist's intent.
- An artist's use of skills and techniques is a continual, repetitive learning process.
- Artists present finished products or performance.
- The critique process can lead to heightened awareness of aesthetics.
- Critiques promote the use of art vocabulary.
The critique process is a valuable analysis of what takes place intuitively.
Course Academic Vocabulary:improvisation, choreography, composition, stationary, locomotor, quality: space, time, energy, force, rhythm, line, shape, effort, pattern, dynamics, motif, theme, concept, intention, expression, design, genre, musicality, audition, performance, contract/release, fall/recovery, imagery, Kinesthetic awareness, range of motion, alignment...
- How do form, content and context express and influence meaning?
Assessment Prompt: Support with evidence how form, content and context express and influence meaning.
- How do elements (nouns) and principles (adjectives) facilitate the creative process?
Assessment prompt: Evaluate the use of elements and principles in facilitating the creativeprocess.
- How do skill and technique enable the creative process?
Assessment prompt: Evaluate the role of skill and technique in enabling the creative process.
- How do we use critique to inform our art?
Assessment prompt: Analyze the role of critique in informing art making.
Course Units / Topics of Study:Contemporary Modern, Jazz, Ballet, Dance History, Improvisation, Composition, anatomy, yoga, Pilates, wellness techniques, performance techniques, critique.