Graphic Design courses at Barrington High School familiarize students to Graphic Design theory, application, and the visual communication of ideas. Students will use the elements & principles of design along with critical thinking and creative problem solving skills, to discuss, collaborate, and physically MAKE innovative and alluring projects. Both Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign) and traditional making methods will be utilized to explore students’ ideas and interesting design possibilities, both digitally and physically. Students will become proficient in Adobe CC through the creative development of self-interest projects. Projects will range from skill and task based digital challenges – to using different materials, tools, tech, and industry standard “specialty equipment” to physically output and make their ideas and designs a reality. In graphic design, we make cool things. Follow @wemakeBHS on Instagram to see more.
- The students will understand how to create and develop visual response to communication problems including typography, aesthetics, composition, and construction of meaningful images.
- The students will understand how to sole communication problems through research, analysis, prototype, user testing, and evaluation.
- The students will understand the ability to utilize tools and technology.
- The students will understand the history of graphic arts.
- The students will understand and identify the steps necessary to produce a printed piece.
- The students will understand equipment and terms used in the printing industry.
- The students will understand the relationship between graphic arts and industry standard software.
- What is the importance of maintaining a graphic arts portfolio?
- What are the benefits of discussing and critiquing initial designs and layouts?
- What is the importance or role of graphic arts in our technological society?
- What are the major processes associated with the graphic arts industry?
- What are the elements of design?
- What are the principals of design?
- What are the elements of layout and the factors the determine how a layout is put together?
- Explore the major innovations in the history of graphic arts including key inventions, improvements on the system and media, and some of today’s possibilities.
- Students will become familiar with proper terminology and vocabulary used in the graphic arts and printing production industry.
- Students will become familiar with Adobe Software by using the software’s design capabilities and layout options and applying this knowledge to class projects and assignments.
- Students will develop skills in silkscreen production including prepress, screen preparation, and production.
- Students will be able to take skills, which have developed through software assignments and apply this knowledge to real-life applications by meeting certain industry standards.
- Students will learn to work independently and the use of proper time management skills.
- Students will develop the ability to discuss and critique graphic design.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of advanced design principles.
Topics of Study
- Photo Editing
- Photo Manipulation
- Logo Designs
- Page Layout
- Silk Screen Printing
- Heat Transfer
- Bindery Work
- Printing Process
- Product Design