Head Lice (pediculosis) is an ongoing problem throughout the United States. Although not a serious medical condition, it can cause an interruption in children's education; therefore, the school requires the following:
- Parent/Guardian will be contacted if their child is suspected of having a lice infestation.
- Siblings and close contacts will also be inspected.
- Any child found to have live adult lice in their hair will be referred for same day treatment.
- Parents/Guardians are strongly urged to notify their child's close contacts regarding the possibility of head lice transmission.
- Nurse will provide parent/guardian with evidence based guidelines and information regarding the elimination of head lice.
- On return to school, the nurse will inspect the child's head for lice and will advise if follow-up is needed.
Additional information regarding the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, environmental intervention, and more can be found here.
Head Lice Information