Thanks to the hard work of the BHS-TV students and the support of the Barrington Educational Foundation, BHS-TV is one of the most successful high school video programs in the country. Students enrolled in BHS-TV have raised more than seven million dollars for charities and have earned more than 70 Student Excellence Awards from the National Television Academy. BHS-TV has also earned Best News Program in the Midwest five out of the last seven years. In 2015 and 2016 President Obama invited the BHS-TV video students and their instructor to the White House Film Festival.
White House Documentary created by BHS-TV 2015
BHS-TV instructor Jeff Doles has a PhD in Educational Technology and has a plethora of industry connections that he is able to connect his students with for projects and internships.
BHS-TV students have worked directly with CBS, WGN, Fox, Hollywood Chicago, Chicago Bears, Blackhawks, NFL Films, Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bulls, Chicago Bandits, 365 Barrington and Quintessential Barrington. Students have also dabbled in the music industry, creating a music video for Platinum selling recording artist O.A.R., interviewed Jethro Tull, Kevin Rudolf, G-Eazy, The Academy, Meek Mill, All Star Weekend and created promotional videos for Ke$ha, Warped Tour, Gigi's Playhouse, Chicago Mustangs, Six Flags Great America and many other incredible bands and organizations.
Thanks to the hard work of the students, BHS-TV has been recognized by NATAS (National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences) more than any other program in the country!
Some of the achievements of BHS-TV:
Awarded Best High School News Program 2009, 2011, 2014 and 2016, 2018
Students have earned 13 National Television Scholarships
Over 2,500 minutes of BHS-TV Episodes
Millions of Youtube/Vimeo views
Over 5,000 videos created
Over 1000 students in the 13 years of the program
70 Student Excellence Awards for the National Television Academy
30 National Competition Video Winners (iPadpalooza, Say No to Teen Dating abuse, Teen Drive365)
Students have filmed for the Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks, Sox, Fire, Bandits
Over $7 million raised for charities
Two ultra-celebrity visits to BHS (Rihanna) (Brad Paisley)
Two White House Invitations
Invited to National Awards Ceremony in LA with Dancing with the Stars host Tom Bergeron
BHS-TV has won several national video contests including ones that brought Rihanna (school assembly) and Brad Paisley (played at 2017 graduation) to Barrington.
Rihanna documentary created by BHS-TV students
Brad Paisley playing at BHS graduation
Some successful alumni of BHS-TV:
Last updated: April 2019
- Dillon Schneider '08, Cinematographer: nominated by the Academy of Country Music for video of the year. http://www.hollywoodchicago.
com/news/29299/interview- dillon-schneider-of-best- video-nominee-at-american- country-music-awards
- Rob Weidner '10, Cinematographer. Worked on several Oscar winning films including Black Panther https://www.imdb.com/name/
- Cameron Good '09, Social Media Producer Chicago Bears
- Alexandra Elich '11, News Reporter at CBS affiliate in South Bend, IN
- Jennifer Nazha '14, former News Reporter at NBC affiliate in Green Bay, WI
- Mark Minner '08, Play by Play Broadcaster at Butler University https://thebutlercollegian.
- Robert Kreiling '06, Assistant Director in Hollywood https://www.imdb.com/name/
- Katie Teuber '09, Broadcast Employee at the Chicago Bears and Broadcast Assistant for the Chicago Cubs https://jwcdaily.com/