The focus of health education is to promote healthy life styles and guide students toward optimal health as they mature. We believe that promoting health and wellness in our classrooms are foundation for students to achieve success, as defined by the Barrington 220 Social - Emotional Learning Team: “A successful Barrington 220 student demonstrates strong character, independence and resiliency, thinks critically and creatively, solves problems and collaborates effectively
throughout society.”The health curriculum goals for students include:
- To apply basic health understanding to prevent disease and stay healthy.
- To analyze the positive and negative influences that affect health practices and behavior.
- To evaluate information about products and services to achieve health literacy.
- To use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid health risks.
- To apply decision making skills to enhance health and to establish personal health goals.
- To adopt and maintain healthy behaviors.
- To advocate for personal, family, and community health.