K-5 Math Curriculum
Elementary math instruction lays the foundation for college and career readiness. Barrington 220’s mathematics program is aligned to the Illinois Learning Standards Incorporating the Common Core. All elementary students are expected to develop appropriate expertise in the Standards for Mathematical Practice, which are included in the Common Core Standards and are rooted in research on mathematical proficiency. The Standards for Mathematical Practice include:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Students use these practice standards in conjunction with the Standards for Mathematical Content, which are designated for each grade level. The elementary mathematics program uses instruction and texts from the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Math in Focus program. Math in Focus, which follows the Singapore Math syllabus, focuses on problem-solving and deep understanding of concepts. Math in Focus is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, as determined by Achieve, a College and Career Readiness Research Organization.