Description of PTO Committees
PTO Helps the Children’s Learning Experience!
- Interactive Habitat: This is an ongoing program developed to enhance classroom curriculum, using the outdoor classroom environment including Living Science Court Yard, Prairie, Bird, Butterfly and Bug Garden, Fall Harvest Garden, and Sensory Herb Turtles.
- Meet the Artist: Classroom volunteers teach children about famous artists and use techniques that bring their works to life.
- Field Day: This is a special all school, all-day activity-filled, end-of-school event and celebration.
- Mini-courses: A month long opportunity for parents and friends to lead classes after school in interesting areas, including crafts, art, sports, dance, books, etc. *FUNDRAISER
- Fitness: Designed to increase exercise and fitness in our NBS community.
- Book Fair: Consists of book sale events during the year for the children / families. *FUNDRAISER
- Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts: The PTO is a chartering organization for the Cub Scout and Girl Scout organizations of North Barrington.
- Dual Language: Helps to ensure that the dual language classroom parents are familiar with the PTO programs and able to engage fully in the PTO-sponsored programs
- Room Coordinator: Works with the teacher to coordinate all the parent volunteers and social events in the classroom. Also organizes the teacher appreciation and teacher gifts for their class.
PTO Helps Connect Families Together!
- Welcoming/Outreach: Welcomes new families to our school with direct contact and informal gatherings.
- Parent Buddy System: Helps a newcomer family feel welcomed, answer questions, and connect with other families as they start the NBS adventure.
- Bowling: There is a Tuesday morning bowling league and a great way to make new friends!
- Family Night: A fun-filled evening for the whole family, including things such as music, food and fitness activities and much more.
- Family “Spirit” Outing: A family event generally held every other winter, such as roller-skating or bowling.
- Adult Social: A biennial dinner/dance with a Live/Silent Auction, bringing parents and teachers together for an evening of fun and fundraising. *FUNDRAISER
- Art Fair: A fun-filled, family event with art stations and art for sale. *FUNDRAISER run alternate year of Fun Fair
- Fun Fair: A family event, including carnival games, cakewalk, food, etc. *FUNDRAISER run alternate year of Art Fair
- Pancake Breakfast: A popular NBS spring event! *FUNDRAISER
- School Directory: An information and phone/email directory distributed to parents.
- Yearbook: Captures the memories of the child’s classroom and the entire school. The photos generally depict events such as plays and field trips, as well as everyday classroom life.
- Car Wash: Parents, students and teachers host a car wash at the school. *FUNDRAISER
PTO Helps the Parents!
- School Supplies: Manages the inventory, purchasing and distribution of school supplies for each classroom in collaboration with the teaching staff, providing reduced costs and shop time for parents, while also providing the students exactly the items needed for the classroom.
- Artsonia: Provides the ability to photograph individual student art work and upload to the Artsonia website for student showcase. The student’s artwork is available for order and can be reproduced on note cards, mouse pads, magnets, etc. *FUNDRAISER
- Gift Wrap: Provides the sale of gift wrap and small gift items. *FUNDRAISER
- Market Day: Provides the sale of nutritious family foods designed to meet the needs of today’s busy and value-minded consumers while raising money for the school. *FUNDRAISER
- Spirit Clothing: Provides NBS Spirit clothing sales and promotion. *FUNDRAISER
PTO Helps the Community!
- COLTS: This service learning program complements the school’s social-emotional learning (SEL) curriculum; parents assist students in 2-3 community outreach projects per year, as our students give back to our community.
PTO Helps the School!
- Display Case: Manages the festive and informative school display cases for the school calendar/schedule.
- e-Team: Develops and maintains the PTO website by monitoring a dedicated email box and getting new information from the school or PTO committees. This includes the creation and distribution of the weekly email newsletter "The Colt.”
- Habitat Maintenance and Rejuvenation: Keeps the NBS outside environments looking beautiful!
- Box Tops: Manages the collection, sorting and counting of General Mills Box Tops for Education. *FUNDRAISER
PTO Helps Show Appreciation to the Teachers and Staff!
- Staff Appreciation: Staff appreciation is a special tribute to our school staff held for one week each spring.
- Hospitality: Hospitality offers the staff a luncheon during the fall conferences in addition to monthly themes during the school year, i.e., breakfast, chocolate, pie day, chili sampler, opening day, etc.
*FUNDRAISER – provides the needed monies to purchase materials for the classroom that are not possible through the district budget, provides equipment to the playground, athletic, music and art programs, and funds the above PTO programs and activities that help connect our families together.