This course is intended for highly motivated students, committed to serious study of fashion design and construction. Advanced placement curriculum involves a significant amount of work, done independently. Students will produce a pants sloper, then design and construct an original pair of pants. The teacher and student will confer, to decide on an appropriate project, which will include computer design applications. The design and construction processes will be documented and included in the student’s portfolio. Students will have a significant role in the production of, and participation in a fashion show. Students will be responsible for fabric, notions and pattern expenses.
Instructor: Mrs. Carla Darlington
Office Phone: (847) 842-6531
Office Period: 3rd (9:10 – 10:00 am)
Demonstrations, guest speakers, videos, field trips
I. Pants Sloper
III. Clothing Design Techniques
IV. Computer Design Applications
V. Design Terms
VII. Original “Free Choice” Garment Using Computer Generated Pattern
VIII. Fashion Show
Lab work 20% Garments 40% Portfolio 10%
Fashion Show 10% Final 20%
90% - 100% A
80% - 89% B
70% - 79% C
60% - 69% D
59% or lower F
· Each assignment will have a maximum point value.
· Quality work, completed and turned in on time, is always expected.
· Please see me about making up an assignment if you are absent.
· If you need help at any time, see me for assistance.
· Grades are available on-line.
· I will give you weekly grade reports.
· A progress report will be sent home for any grades below a “C” (70%).
· You may also ask me for a grade update at any time.
*ALL REQUIRED COURSE WORK (COMPUTER ASSIGNMENTS, PATTERN MAKING, CUTTING AND SEWING) MUST BE DONE IN THE SEWING LAB. DO NOT TAKE PATTERNS OR GARMENTS OUT OF THE SEWING LAB. WORK DONE OUTSIDE OF THE LAB WILL RESULT IN NO CREDIT.
*Please contact me with any concerns. I am available before or after school, during 3rd period, or at any time by e-mail or phone message. Course Description